I contacted my landlord with questions about the house which means I am one step closer to buying it. With all of the questions I asked her I should be able to run the numbers, make an offer, and work out a deal. Considering I can’t know how much longer we have until it’s time to get renters I compiled a punch list of things left to do.
In order to have the lower unit rent ready, these are the things that I must have completed
- Remove the door in T’s bedroom
- Paint the last wall in T’s bedroom
- Paint the trim in T’s bedroom
These first three tasks are the leftovers from when I painted the paneling in this room and the fact that the trim is in desperate need of a fresh coat
- Touch up paint around the house
- Finish Painting Inside Cabinets
- Paint Outside Cabinets
- Seal the grout on the new backsplash
- Check that the heater is clean and running smoothly
- Check the smoke detector
- Fix the run in the carpet
- Install a fan in the bathroom
- Fix the overhead light in the bathroom
- Clean everything
On the other hand, there are also things I would like to have done before we get tenants. Time and money permitting
- Replace carpet with new carpet in bedrooms/living room
- Replace carpet with laminate in kitchen/dining area
I’m thinking of going with a laminate similar to this (maybe even this one), and a beige brown carpet
- Stain stair treads, paint the risers.
These last three wants all have to do with flooring. The only spot in our unit that doesn’t have carpet is the bathroom. Even in the places that it makes sense to have carpet, the carpet isn’t so great even after a good cleaning. Mostly the idea with replacing the flooring is we would likely get a better deal if we bought the same flooring for upstairs and downstairs all at once. One of the first things I would like to do once (if) we get the house is replace all the flooring upstairs even before moving in.
I’m planning on knocking out some of the items on the must-do list over my spring break (in one week). It’s probably a good thing that we just got bombarded with snow here in Michigan, otherwise I might be tempted to do some yard work.
What’s on your punch list?
See You Around!